A mini grease gun, as the name suggests is a tool that can be used for mini lubrication projects. Due to its small size, it is generally not used in industrial or large commercial businesses. Ideal for mini-projects like greasing smaller machines, its size makes it convenient for portability purposes as well as convenient for quick tweaks of smaller equipment.
Mini grease guns are available in a vast selection of types, with various features and varying costs, but one thing they all have in common is that they must be loaded. Despite the many types that are available, the mechanism for loading is similar.
How To Load a Mini Grease Gun – Top 3 Methods
Three loading methods can be used for loading a mini grease gun:
- Bulk loading
- Cartridge in a 3-ounce size
1. Bulk Loading a Mini Grease Gun
This was one of the original loading methods before the introduction of the grease cartridge or bulk loading pump.
- Mini grease gun
- Spatula or similar
Step-by-step guide for bulk loading a mini grease gun
- Unscrew the mini grease gun head from the gun’s barrel.
- Depending on the style of mini grease gun, pull out the rod handle and block it in position or, using a screwdriver check to see that the plunger is at the bottom of the gun barrel for minis not featuring a rod handle.
- Using the spatula, or manually fill the mini barrel with grease.
- Place some grease in the gun head to fill in the space.
- Screw the gun head back on loosely so that it is not fully secured.
- Again depending on the model, release the rod handle and push it into the gun barrel, or for models without rod handles, using a screwdriver push the plunger up from the bottom until a bit of grease is released from the edge where the gun head screws into the barrel.
- Now screw the gun barrel to close snugly.
- Wipe off any grease residue on the outside of your mini grease gun and test to see that it functions correctly.
2. How to Load a 3-ounce Grease Gun Cartridge?
To load a mini grease gun, the use of a pre-filled cartridge is the easiest and fastest method. It’s not messy, and you can just toss empty cartridges.
- Mini grease gun
- A 3-ounce cartridge of lubricant
Step-by-step guide for loading a mini grease gun
- Take off the grease gun head by rotating it counterclockwise.
- Pull the rod handle out completely.
- Lock the handle in place so it doesn’t interfere. Set the gun head aside on a clean surface to avoid picking up contaminants.
- Take a new grease cartridge and remove the plastic cap at one end of the cartridge.
- Take the cartridge and insert it inside the gun barrel. The cartridge bottom is where you removed the plastic cap, and it should enter first.
- Remove the metal tab or covering on the top of the cartridge to open it.
- Screw the grease gun head back onto the gun. Now rotate it counterclockwise one full turn.
- Release the rod handle from its locked position and push it back inside the gun.
- Rotate the grease gun head clockwise until it is snug. Pump until a little grease emerges from your mini grease gun.
3. Loading a Mini Grease Gun through Suction
This also was one of the initial methods for grease gun loading.
- Grease gun
- Tub of grease/lubricant
Step-by-step guide for loading a mini grease gun with the suction method
- Unscrew the grease gun head, remove it, and set it aside on a clean surface.
- Open your container of lubricant.
- Clean the mini grease gun tube thoroughly to prevent contamination of the container of grease.
- Insert the gun barrel’s open-end several inches into the tub of grease.
- Slowly pull back on the T-handle and draw lubricant into the gun barrel. Block the T-handle in the outward position.
Tip: If you feel a break in the suction of the grease into the barrel, push the lubricant back into the grease tub to expel the air pocket and draw back the handle once more.
- Remove your gun barrel from the lubricant container. With a clean rag, clean off all lubricant on the barrel’s outside where it was dipped into the lubricant container.
- Reinstall the gun head onto the mini grease gun.
- Release the T-handle and return it inside the grease gun. Purge any air that may be trapped before use.
- Begin to pump the gun until grease flows from the nozzle or flexible tube.
Are Mini Grease Guns Good?
Yes, mini grease guns are great. They offer reliability, ease, portability, and ergonomics. Being able to handle a mini grease gun with a single hand makes it smooth to use. And many of these grease guns come with several accessories like a pipe, heavy-duty nylon hose, and heavy-duty coupler. You probably won’t use your grease gun anymore after trying a mini grease gun out.
Precision and accuracy are other features that make a mini grease gun the bomb. They dispense grease with relatively higher precision and more accuracy. This makes a mini grease gun dispense much less grease than a full grease gun for the same job and still achieve the same result.
They’re also available in a wide variety of brands, and that gives buyers wider options. Based on the reviews on multiple platforms, grease guns are not just good. They are great!
What is a Mini Grease Gun Used For?
A mini grease gun is used to inject grease into the parts of heavy machinery that require lubrication. Parts of machines that rub against each other will generate friction and heat. When machines continue to rub against each other, there’ll be noise and the rate of wear and tear will be high.
That’s why there should be grease in between them to smoothen out their operations. For instance, a heavy roller-shutter door requires a lot of grease to work smoothly. That’s exactly what a mini grease gun does. Fill it with a grease cartridge and pump the grease into your equipment as you wish.
How Much Does a Small Grease Gun Cost?
You can get different brands of mini grease guns on Walmart, eBay, or Amazon. Fortunately, the three sites offer the product at a similar price range. You’ll get it for about $13 – $39. The difference in prices depends on the models and the brand.
Small guns made by popular brands cost higher than the ones made by little-known brands. Also, the model of the grease gun is another factor that drives the prices. As you would expect, superior models of mini grease guns cost more than lower models.
Since Amazon offers more models and much more reviews than Walmart and eBay, you may want to purchase yours from the platform. Take the time to read the reviews of your preferred model before you order it.
Portable and convenient the mini grease gun is easy to use for both indoor and outdoor lubrication needs, and it has become a great solution for urgent lubrication necessities.